Top Winter Plant Tips for Cats and Dogs
Decking your home out with bright and festive plants is a perfect way to start the festive season. But sadly many of these seasonal plants are dangerous for our four legged friends.
It’s curiosity or boredom that usually persuades dogs and cats to taste house plants, so as well as keeping plants well away from your pets, keeping your pet well occupied with toys and activities will also help.
Toxicity ranges from mild to severe and the amount of the plant consumed will determine how badly your pet is affected. Tummy upsets are the most common consequence, but some of these plants are potentially so poisonous that your pet can become seriously ill if they come into contact or consume them.
Have a read of our go-to guide from our vet Dr. Holly Mash to make sure that you’re not putting your companion at risk over Christmas.
Poinsettia & Amaryllis:
The sap of these flowers are considered to be mildly toxic/ irritating and may cause vomiting. Just keep these well out of paws reach.
Mistletoe & Holly:
Your pet will get pretty sick if they try and eat either of these. (But hopefully the spikey leaves of the Holly will put them off to begin with).
This is a species of nightshade with very poisonous berries. Keep well away from your pets.
Fir & Pine needles of the Christmas tree:
Fir tree oils can be irritating to the mouth and stomach, causing excessive drooling or vomiting. The tree needles are not easily digested either and can be very problematic if eaten (so sharp they can even pierce the intestinal lining).
Have a safe and happy Christmas but if you do suspect that your pet has eaten any of these plants, please contact your vet immediately – it’s much better to be safe than sorry!