Game Time Episode 2
Ludo learns to ‘Find it’ on a treasure hunt
In Episode 2, Ludo the 2 year-old Labrador learns the command ‘Find it’ at home and discovers just how much fun this can be! It’s a fantastic skill for any dog to learn, and one that will help them to play the other games in this series. Food-motivated dogs love this game – and Ludo is always hungry so he really enjoyed it!
“Remember to keep encouraging and praising them while they sniff out the delicious treats”
To play 'find it' with your dog:
1. Teach your dog to pair the command ‘Find it’ with a treat, by giving them a treat and saying the words at the same time.
2. Drop treats in front of your dog, saying ‘Find it’ each time.
3. The next part is to start throwing treats where your dog can’t immediately see them (through their legs, behind them and so on), so that they have to use their nose to ‘Find it’. This helps your dog understand that it means having to sniff for them.
4. The last part of this training game is to put treats in places where your dog can’t see them straightaway, so they have to hunt for the treats by using their nose. Keep it easy to begin with, hiding them behind table legs, under chairs, in their bed, on low shelves and so on.
5. Invite your dog to ‘Find it’ and remember to keep encouraging and praising them while they sniff out the delicious treats. Well done!
You will need
Louise used a handful of Ludo’s favourite Chicken & Duck Dry Food for this training game
“It's brilliant for your dog’s mental stimulation, helping to focus their energy so that you can encourage and reward positive behaviour”
About Game Time
This series of short videos is here to help you develop your relationship with your dog using fun and simple games. Spending time together with your dog, playing games and giving them fun tasks is a great way to become closer and strengthen your bond. It’s also brilliant for your dog’s mental stimulation, helping to focus their energy so that you can encourage and reward positive behaviour.
Louise Glazebrook is a popular Dog Behaviourist and Trainer in the UK. She’s featured on prime-time television in the UK, on shows such as ‘10 Puppies and Us’, and has written for various news and media outlets, such as The Telegraph.
Want to share your Game Time adventures with us? Use #lilyskitchen - we can't wait to see you and your pooch learn some new tricks.
In Episode 1, Ludo learns to sit and wait in his local park, with the help of a simple and rewarding lesson.
Pretzel learns how to focus and channel his energy, with the help of this simple lesson.