Sit & Wait
Game Time Episode 1
Ludo learns to ‘Sit & Wait’ in the park
In Episode 1, a young Labrador called Ludo learns to sit and wait in his local park, with the help of a simple and rewarding lesson. It’s perhaps the most important bit of training you can do. It’s so useful in everyday situations, as well as an essential command to learn before you can have lots of fun together with the other games in this series.
“Give plenty of praise and treats as a reward”
Teach your dog to sit:
1. Hold the treat close to your dog’s nose and raise it slightly over their head so that their bottom naturally has to touch the ground to follow it.
2. As soon as their bottom touches the ground, say your command. ‘Sit – good boy/good girl’ and then give plenty of praise, plus the treat as a reward.
Teach your dog to wait:
1. Start by having your dog sitting and then take one step out at a time, come back in, say the command ‘Wait’, and then give your dog a treat.
2. Keep practising this and try to get one step further away each time, so that your dog starts to associate staying still with you coming back and them getting a treat.
3. It’s important when you walk away and come back, you continue to let your dog know that you are pleased with them. Smile and look happy, rather than stern or staring at them because that can make them get up and follow you.
4. After learning to ‘sit and wait’, it’s time to have some fun together!
“Spending time together with your dog, playing games and giving them fun tasks is a great way to become closer and strengthen your bond”
About Game Time
This series of short videos is here to help you develop your relationship with your dog using fun and easy games. Spending time together with your dog, playing games and giving them fun tasks is a great way to become closer and strengthen your bond. It’s also brilliant for your dog’s mental stimulation, helping to focus their energy so that you can encourage and reward positive behaviour.
Louise Glazebrook is a popular Dog Behaviourist and Trainer in the UK. She’s featured on prime-time television in the UK, on shows such as ‘10 Puppies and Us’, and has written for various news and media outlets, such as The Telegraph.
Want to share your Game Time adventures with us? Use #lilyskitchen - we can't wait to see you and your pooch learn some new tricks.
Ludo learns the command 'find it' at home and discovers just how much fun this can be!
Pretzel learns how to focus and channel his never ending energy, with the help of this simple lesson.